The Dangers of Mold in Wine

When you come across mold on your , it's natural to feel concerned about its potential health risks. After all, nobody wants to consume something that could make them sick or even worse. In this article, we will delve into the topic of mold in wine, exploring the risks associated with it and providing guidance on how to handle it properly.

Firstly, it's important to note that mold growth in wine is relatively rare. Wine spoilage typically occurs due to oxidation, which can result in the wine turning into vinegar. While this may not be pleasant to taste, it is unlikely to cause harm to your health. However, the presence of mold on wine can be a different story.

Mold is a type of fungus that thrives in humid and damp environments. When we have humid weather, mold can grow on the cork of wine bottles. It's worth mentioning that a small amount of mold on the cork is not uncommon and is generally harmless. It may appear as fuzzy patches or discoloration on the cork's surface.

However, if the mold has penetrated the cork and reached the wine inside, it can pose a potential health risk. Mold growth in wine can be indicative of spoilage due to microbial contamination, which can lead to food poisoning. Consuming wine that has been contaminated with mold can result in symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, stomach cramps, and diarrhea.

It's crucial to take mold in wine seriously and exercise caution when encountering it. If you notice mold on the cork of a bottle, it's advisable not to consume the wine. It's better to err on the side of caution and avoid any potential health risks. Remember, mold growth on the cork suggests that the wine may have been compromised by microbial contamination.

When it comes to handling bottles with moldy corks, it's essential to be mindful of the cleaning process. While you may want to clean up the bottles for presentation or auction purposes, it's important to avoid using cleaning products. Cleaning products can damage the wine and alter its taste. Instead, focus on gently removing the mold from the cork using a soft cloth or brush.

Mold in wine can be a cause for concern, especially if it has penetrated the cork and contaminated the wine itself. While most mold growth on the cork is harmless, it is crucial to exercise caution and avoid consuming wine with visible mold. If you come across mold on your wine bottles, handle them with care, and consider seeking the advice of a knowledgeable professional in the wine industry.

Remember, your health should always be the top priority, and it's better to be safe than sorry when it comes to consuming potentially contaminated wine. Stay informed and proactive when it comes to mold in wine, and enjoy your wines with peace of mind.

Mold in Wine 1694682762

Can Moldy Wine Make You Sick?

Moldy wine has the potential to make you sick. Mold growth on wine is caused by exposure to oxygen, which can occur when the bottle is not properly sealed or stored. When wine becomes contaminated with mold, it can produce mycotoxins, which are toxic substances produced by certain types of mold.

Consuming wine that has been contaminated with mold and mycotoxins can lead to a range of health issues. These can include allergic reactions, respiratory problems, gastrointestinal symptoms, and even neurological effects in severe cases. The specific symptoms will depend on the individual and the amount of mold and mycotoxins consumed.

It is important to note that not all molds produce mycotoxins, and even if mold is present on the surface of the wine, it does not necessarily mean that mycotoxins are present. However, it is difficult to determine the presence of mycotoxins without laboratory testing, so it is generally recommended to err on the side of caution and avoid consuming moldy wine.

If you suspect that you have consumed moldy wine and are experiencing adverse health effects, it is advisable to seek medical attention. A healthcare professional will be able to evaluate your symptoms and provide appropriate treatment if necessary.

Moldy wine can make you sick due to the potential presence of mycotoxins. It is best to avoid consuming wine that shows signs of mold growth and to discard any wine that has a musty or off-putting odor or taste.

Can Wine Mold In The Bottle?

Wine can develop mold in the bottle under certain conditions. Mold is a type of fungus that thrives in damp and dark environments. If the wine bottle is exposed to high humidity or stored in a damp cellar, it can create a suitable environment for mold growth.

Mold can appear as fuzzy patches or spots on the surface of the wine, and it can range in color from white to green or black. It is important to note that while mold may be unsightly, it does not pose a health risk and is not harmful to consume.

However, if you are concerned about the appearance of mold on your wine bottles, you may choose to clean them for presentation or other purposes. It is essential to take caution when cleaning wine bottles to avoid damaging the wine inside.

Here are some tips for cleaning mold off wine bottles:

1. Use a soft cloth or sponge: Gently wipe away the mold using a soft cloth or sponge. Avoid using abrasive materials that could scratch the bottle.

2. Warm : Dampen the cloth or sponge with warm water and use it to wipe away the mold. Avoid using hot water as it can damage the labels or the wine cork.

3. Avoid cleaning products: Do not use cleaning products, detergents, bleach, or other chemicals to clean the mold off wine bottles. These substances can react with the wine or leave residues that may affect the flavor or quality of the wine.

4. Dry thoroughly: After cleaning, make sure to dry the bottle thoroughly to prevent any moisture from lingering, as it can create a favorable environment for mold growth.

If you are uncertain about how to clean the wine bottles properly, it is advisable to seek guidance from a wine professional or expert to ensure the preservation of the wine's integrity.

While wine can develop mold in the bottle under certain conditions, mold growth does not pose a health risk and is not harmful to consume. If you wish to clean mold off wine bottles, it is important to use caution and avoid using cleaning products or chemicals that can damage the wine.


Mold in wine is not a normal occurrence and should be taken seriously. While mold on the cork may not directly harm the wine itself, it can be a sign of spoilage and potential health risks. Mold growth on the cork is typically caused by humid weather, as the cork absorbs moisture. While this may not damage the wine, it is advisable to clean the bottles for presentation or auction purposes. However, it is important to avoid using cleaning products as they can damage the wine. In rare cases, mold growth due to microbes can result in food poisoning, making it crucial to be cautious when consuming spoiled wine. it is best to store wine properly to prevent mold growth and ensure its quality and safety.

Photo of author

Thomas Ashford

Thomas Ashford is a highly educated brewer with years of experience in the industry. He has a Bachelor Degree in Chemistry and a Master Degree in Brewing Science. He is also BJCP Certified Beer Judge. Tom has worked hard to become one of the most experienced brewers in the industry. He has experience monitoring brewhouse and cellaring operations, coordinating brewhouse projects, and optimizing brewery operations for maximum efficiency. He is also familiar mixology and an experienced sommelier. Tom is an expert organizer of beer festivals, wine tastings, and brewery tours.