When it comes to enjoying a classic cocktail, few can rival the timeless appeal of the Old Fashioned. This iconic drink has been a favorite among whiskey enthusiasts for centuries, and part of its charm lies in the accessories that enhance the overall experience. From the choice of spirits to the garnishes and twists, every detail matters in creating the perfect Old Fashioned.
To begin crafting your Old Fashioned, you'll need a quality bourbon or rye. Both options offer distinct flavors that can elevate your drink to new heights. Bourbon, with its rich and smooth profile, is often the preferred choice. However, rye whiskey, known for its spicier and bolder character, can add an extra layer of complexity to your cocktail. Ultimately, the decision between bourbon and rye comes down to personal preference.
Next, you'll need to consider the aromatic cocktail bitters. These concentrated flavor extracts play a crucial role in balancing the sweetness of the drink and adding depth to its overall taste. Traditional options like Angostura or Peychaud's bitters are popular choices, but there is an array of artisanal bitters available with unique flavor profiles. Experimenting with different bitters can allow you to customize your Old Fashioned to suit your palate.
Another essential component of the Old Fashioned is the simple syrup. This sweetener is made by dissolving sugar in water, creating a syrupy consistency that blends seamlessly with the whiskey and bitters. Premium classic simple syrup ensures a consistent level of sweetness throughout your drink, without overpowering the flavors of the other ingredients.
Garnishing your Old Fashioned is where you can truly get creative. While some bartenders opt for orange wedges or even cherries, a classic Old Fashioned is traditionally garnished with a lemon twist. This small twist of lemon peel not only adds an aesthetically pleasing touch but also releases its citrusy aroma as you savor each sip. The fragrance of the lemon twist enhances the drinking experience, adding a refreshing and aromatic element to the cocktail.
Now that you have all the necessary accessories, it's time to bring them together and craft your Old Fashioned. Start by muddling a sugar cube with a few dashes of bitters in the glass. Add a splash of simple syrup and continue to muddle until the sugar is fully dissolved. Next, pour in your chosen bourbon or rye, stirring gently to combine the flavors. add ice cubes and garnish with a lemon twist for that signature touch.
As you sip on your expertly crafted Old Fashioned, take a moment to appreciate the history and evolution of this beloved cocktail. From its humble beginnings as a Whiskey Cocktail to the addition of embellishments and the rebellion of some purists, the Old Fashioned has stood the test of time as a true classic.
Whether you prefer the smoothness of bourbon or the boldness of rye, the aromatic bitters, the premium simple syrup, or the refreshing citrus scent of a lemon twist, each accessory contributes to the overall experience of savoring an Old Fashioned. So, take your time, experiment with different variations, and find the combination that best suits your taste. Cheers to enjoying the elegance and timelessness of the Old Fashioned!
What Is In An Old Fashioned Kit?
The Old Fashioned kit includes the following components:
– One bottle of Craft Bourbon or Rye (750ML): This is the main ingredient of the Old Fashioned cocktail. You can choose between bourbon or rye whiskey, depending on your preference. Bourbon is known for its smooth and slightly sweet flavor, while rye whiskey has a spicier and drier taste.
– Aromatic Cocktail Bitters: Bitters are a key component in an Old Fashioned cocktail, adding depth and complexity to the drink. The Old Fashioned kit includes a bottle of aromatic cocktail bitters specifically designed for this classic cocktail. These bitters typically contain a blend of herbs, spices, and botanicals, which enhance the overall flavor profile.
– Premium Classic Simple Syrup: Simple syrup is a sweetener used in cocktails to balance the flavors. The Old Fashioned kit provides a bottle of premium classic simple syrup, which is made from equal parts water and sugar. This syrup adds a touch of sweetness to the drink without overpowering the other ingredients.
– Cocktail Cherries for garnish: A garnish can add visual appeal and a burst of flavor to a cocktail. In the Old Fashioned kit, you will find cocktail cherries that can be used to garnish your drink. These cherries are typically marinated in a syrup or liquor, giving them a sweet and slightly tangy taste.
With these components, the Old Fashioned kit provides everything you need to create a classic and flavorful Old Fashioned cocktail. It's a convenient and easy way to enjoy this timeless drink at home.
What Was In The Original Old Fashioned?
The original Old Fashioned cocktail consisted of whiskey, sugar, bitters, and water. This classic combination dates back to around 1800. Here is a breakdown of the ingredients:
1. Whiskey: The base of the Old Fashioned is whiskey, typically bourbon or rye. The choice of whiskey can vary based on personal preference, but traditionally, these two types are used.
2. Sugar: A small amount of sugar is added to the cocktail to balance the strong flavors of the whiskey and bitters. Simple syrup or a sugar cube can be used as a sweetener.
3. Bitters: Bitters are a concentrated blend of botanicals and herbs. Angostura bitters are the most commonly used in the Old Fashioned. They provide a complex and aromatic flavor that complements the whiskey.
4. Water: Water is added to dilute the cocktail and enhance its overall taste. It helps to mellow out the strong flavors and create a well-balanced drink.
The original Old Fashioned was a straightforward concoction, showcasing the essence of whiskey with just a touch of sweetness and bitterness. It wasn't until later years, specifically in the 1870s and 1880s, that bartenders began experimenting and adding embellishments to the Old Fashioned. However, some customers resisted these innovations and preferred the simplicity of the original recipe.
Old fashioned accessories such as the Old Fashioned Kit, Aromatic Cocktail Bitters, Premium Classic Simple Syrup, and Cocktail Cherries play a crucial role in enhancing the experience of enjoying this timeless cocktail. The Old Fashioned Kit provides everything you need to create a perfect Old Fashioned, whether you prefer bourbon or rye. Aromatic Cocktail Bitters add depth and complexity to the drink, while the Premium Classic Simple Syrup adds a touch of sweetness. The Cocktail Cherries not only serve as a delightful garnish but also add a burst of flavor. For those who appreciate the traditional touch, a lemon twist can be requested to top the drink, providing a refreshing citrus scent. These accessories are a nod to the roots of the Old Fashioned, which originated as a simple combination of whiskey, sugar, bitters, and water. By using these accessories, you can elevate your Old Fashioned experience and savor the rich history and timeless appeal of this classic cocktail.