As an expert sommelier and brewer, I am also passionate about cooking and exploring different flavors. When it comes to cooking Old Wisconsin Premium Summer Sausage, there are a few different ways you can prepare it to bring out its delicious taste and texture. Here are some methods and tips I have discovered through personal experience:
1. Grilling: One of my favorite ways to cook Old Wisconsin Premium Summer Sausage is on the grill. Start by preheating the grill to medium heat. Slice the sausage into thick slices, about half an inch thick. This allows the heat to penetrate the sausage and develop a beautiful charred crust. Place the slices directly on the grill grates and cook for about 3-4 minutes per side, or until they are nicely browned and heated through. The grill adds a smoky flavor and enhances the sausage's natural juiciness.
2. Pan-Frying: If you don't have access to a grill, pan-frying is another fantastic option. Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and add a small amount of cooking oil. Slice the sausage into rounds and place them in the hot skillet. Cook for about 2-3 minutes per side, or until they are browned and heated through. Pan-frying gives the sausage a delicious crispy exterior while keeping it moist and tender on the inside.
3. Baking: Baking Old Wisconsin Premium Summer Sausage is a convenient and hassle-free method. Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C). Slice the sausage into rounds or leave it whole, depending on your preference. Place the sausage on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil to prevent sticking. Bake for about 15-20 minutes, or until the sausage is heated through and slightly browned. Baking allows the flavors to meld together and gives the sausage a slightly caramelized outer layer.
4. Slicing for Sandwiches: Old Wisconsin Premium Summer Sausage is also perfect for sandwiches and charcuterie boards. Slice the sausage into thin rounds or strips and layer it on your favorite bread or roll. You can add some mustard, cheese, and pickles for a classic deli-style sandwich. The sausage's robust flavor adds a savory and satisfying element to any sandwich creation.
– Old Wisconsin Premium Summer Sausage is already fully cooked, so the cooking methods mentioned above are primarily for heating and enhancing the flavor.
– Experiment with different seasonings and spices to customize the taste. Adding a sprinkle of paprika or a dash of garlic powder can elevate the flavors even more.
– Don't overcook the sausage, as it may become dry and lose its juiciness. Keep a close eye on it while grilling, frying, or baking to ensure it is cooked to perfection.
– Pair Old Wisconsin Premium Summer Sausage with your favorite beer or wine for a delightful culinary experience. The smoky and savory flavors of the sausage complement a wide range of beverages.
Cooking Old Wisconsin Premium Summer Sausage is a delightfully versatile process. Whether you choose to grill, pan-fry, bake, or use it in sandwiches, the result is a delicious and satisfying meal. Enjoy exploring the different cooking methods and experimenting with various flavors to create a culinary experience that suits your taste buds.