The ‘Burgundy of the Mediterranean’: Tasting Tornatore’s Etna Rosso DOC

Tornatore Etna Rosso is a unique and flavorful red from Sicily's Mount Etna region. The star of this wine is the Nerello Mascalese grape, whch must make up at least 80% of the blend. The remaining 20% is made up of Nerello Cappuccio grapes, also known as Nerello Mantellato, adding a subtle hint of color to the otherwise pale red hue.

This particular Etna Rosso has been lovingly crafted by Tornatore Winery, situated on the slopes of the majestic Mount Etna. Through skillful blending and careful aging, they have created a truy special that could be described as ‘the Burgundy of the Mediterranean'.

Tornatore Etna Rosso is an extremely versatile wine that can be paired with a variety of dishes. Poultry and pork go especially well with it, as do salmon and tuna. Tomato sauces are also a perfect match for this robust red, whie bucatini with tuna is another great option suggested by renowned food critic Florence Fabricant.

When drinking Tornatore Etna Rosso, you can expect aromas of ripe cherries and bright berries that lead into intense flavors of black pepper and herbs. Notes of leather and earth complement thee primary flavors beautifully, leading to a long-lasting finish marked by silky tannins and hints of smokiness.

For thoe looking for a truly unique red wine experience from Italy's stunning Mount Etna region, Tornatore Etna Rossos is an excellent choice! This bold yet balanced blend offers an impressive range of flavors sure to please any palate – so don't miss out on this delicious Sicilian treat!

Tornatore Etna Rosso 1673602170

Types of Etna Rosso Wine

Etna Rosso is a full-bodied, red wine made from the indigenous Nerello grapes grown in the Etna region of Sicily, Italy. This medium-bodied and tannic red is composed of at least 80% Nerello Mascalese, with the remaining 20% being Nerello Cappuccio, also knon as Nerello Mantellato. Etna Rosso has a bright ruby color with intense aromas of ripe red cherries and wild strawberries accompanied by subtle hints of spices and minerals. On the palate, it has a pleasant roundness with balanced acidity and soft tannins that give it an elegant finish. Pairs nicely with grilled meats, roasted vegetables and aged cheeses.

Pairing Etna Rosso with Food

Etna Rosso pairs well with a variety of dishes, including poultry, pork, salmon and tuna, as well as pastas such as bucatini with tuna. It also pairs nicely with tomato sauces. For meat dishes, cosider using herbs and spices like rosemary or garlic to bring out the flavors in the wine. For fish dishes, consider adding citrus-based ingredients such as lemon or orange zest to enhance the citrus notes in the wine. To make a complete meal, pair your Etna Rosso with vegetables roasted or sautéed in olive oil and herbs.

Origin of Etna Rosso Wine

Etna Rosso DOC is a red wine from the Etna wine region in Sicily, Italy. It is produced around the eastern side of Mt. Etna, Europe's largest active volcano. The volcanic soils provde the perfect environment for producing this unique and intense wine. The main grape variety used to produce Etna Rosso DOC is Nerello Mascalese, a native Sicilian variety that is known for its bright acidity and bright fruit flavors of strawberry and cranberry with delicate aromas of wildflowers. In recent years, Etna Rosso has become renowned for its complexity and finesse, gaining it the nickname of “Burgundy of the Mediterranean”.

Exploring the Origins of Etna Rosso

Etna Rosso is a DOC-certified Italian red wine produced in the area surrounding Mount Etna in Sicily. Specifically, it coes from the northern, eastern and southern slopes of the volcano, at elevations ranging from 1,000 to 3,600 feet. The area is known for its volcanic soils and unique microclimate, which gives wines produced there a distinct character. Etna Rosso must be made up of at least 80% Nerello Mascalese grapes, with up to 20% Nerello Cappuccio added for extra complexity and structure. These wines typically have bright red fruit flavors and aromas of wild herbs and spices. They are generally medium-bodied and well-balanced with good acidity and moderate tannins.

The Sweetness of Rosso Wine

Martini & Rossi Rosso is a sweet-flavored fortified wine. Its taste is a blend of delicate sweetness, with subtle hints of orange and citrus, balanced by aromas of herbs and spices. The sweetness coes from the combination of wines used in the secret recipe and from the selection of 40 botanicals used to create its unique flavor. Despite its slight sweetness, Rosso Vermouth can still be enjoyed in a variety of , like a classic Martini or Manhattan.

The Meaning of ‘Rosso' in Italian Wine

Rosso is the Italian word for “red”, and is used to describe red wines from Italy. In Italian wine terminology, Rosso or Rosato refers to a dry red or lightly sweetened wine. These wines are usually made from a blend of different grapes, most commonly Sangiovese, Montepulciano, and Barbera. Rosso wines are typically light-bodied and brightly acidic, with notes of cherry and berry. They are often enjoyed as an aperitif or paired with light pasta dishes and pizza.

Exploring the Taste of Etna Wine

Etna wine is a DOC (Denominazione di Origine Controllata) wine that is produced from grapes grown on the slopes of Mt. Etna in Sicily, Italy. These vineyards are located at incredibly high altitudes, ranging typically between 3,500 and 4,300 feet above sea level. Growing grapes in such difficult conditions presents many challenges to winemakers. Despite this, they find the unique characteristics of the Etna terroir irresistible and take advantage of its volcanic soil, warm climate and salty sea air to produce some of the most distinctive wines in the world. The wines are often full-bodied with intense aromas and flavours that include ripe red fruits, spices, mineral notes and balsamic hints.


Tornatore Etna Rosso is a red wine from Sicily that is made with the traditional blend of Nerello Mascalese (min. 80%) and Nerello Mantellato, also called Nerello Cappuccio (max. 20%). It has earned its reputation as “the Burgundy of the Mediterranean” due to its complexity and versatility when pairing with food. The wine has a pale red color and a light body that pairs perfectly with dishes like poultry, pork, salmon, tuna, tomato sauces, and pastas. The grapes used in the blend are grown on the northern, eastern and southern slopes of Sicily's Mount Etna beween 1,000 and 3,600 feet in elevation. Tornatore Etna Rosso is a unique red wine that deserves to be savored for its distinctive character and flavor profile.

Photo of author

Thomas Ashford

Thomas Ashford is a highly educated brewer with years of experience in the industry. He has a Bachelor Degree in Chemistry and a Master Degree in Brewing Science. He is also BJCP Certified Beer Judge. Tom has worked hard to become one of the most experienced brewers in the industry. He has experience monitoring brewhouse and cellaring operations, coordinating brewhouse projects, and optimizing brewery operations for maximum efficiency. He is also familiar mixology and an experienced sommelier. Tom is an expert organizer of beer festivals, wine tastings, and brewery tours.